This is the final installment of the Foodprint series for World Environment Day. The FoodPrint recipes are a collection of recipes that will help keep your carbon footprint small, help reduce waste AND taste delicious!
The 1MW Dairy-Free Chocolate Cake
It will definitely be one of the best cakes you have ever tasted.
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbsp margarine
2 tbsp soy milk
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
- In a 8X8 baking pan/dish mix together all dry ingredient, blending together really well.
- Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it’s totally smooth.
- Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).
- For the glaze, in a small saucepan, bring sugar, margarine, milk, and cocoa to a boil. Stir frequently; then reduce heat to a simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. It’ll look gloppy, but it’s just the bubbles! Remove from heat and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla, stir, and immediately pour onto cake. Glaze dries really quickly, so spread it immediately and add any sprinkles now.Let this cool for 1 hour…. if you can wait that long!
Think, Eat, Save tip: Dairy cattle have similar emission problems as beef cattle, with the average cow producing greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to 5 tonnes of CO2 in its lifetime Avoiding dairy when possible is a great way to shrink your carbon footprint!
We are daughters, mothers, sisters and grandmothers getting on with practical climate action to live better for us and the planet. Join the movement at www.1millionwomen.com.au