These fritters are very easy to make and are great as a side for a meal, or even on their own! Plus, they contain ingredients from great seasonal produce you can buy at your local market.
Buying local means you are saving a lot of food miles and you are supporting local business, a win-win situation.
For more tips on how to eat sustainably click here
1 large sweet potato (about 1 cup mashed)
4 tablespoons melted butter (or butter alternative)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped chives (reserve 1 tablespoon for sour cream topping)
1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
Pre-heat oven to 175 °
1. Score your sweet potato with a knife or fork, and then pop straight in the microwave on high for 6 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Mash the entire thing, skin and all. The skin adds a nice texture to the fritter and avoids food waste.
3. Add egg, breadcrumbs, flour, salt, and pepper and mix well.
4. Add the chives and corn and mix gently.
5. Shape the mix into balls and shallow fry briefly on both sides.
6. Place fritters into the oven for 15 minutes or until desired texture is achieved.
Don’t forget to head over to our website! We are daughters, mothers, sisters and grandmothers getting on with practical climate action to live better for us and the planet. Join the movement at www.1millionwomen.com.au