Foodie Weekender by Bronte Hogarth
It’s Keep Australia Beautiful week, a week of awareness on keeping our country clean and beautiful. Picnics are one of the best ways to enjoy the beauty of nature in Australia —but not when you’re packing disposable paper plates, plastic utensils, bottled beverages and other use-and-toss items.
How to pack a waste-free picnic:
- Make your own food rather than buying ready made things which are usually wrapped in lots of packaging and plastic.
- Pack food in reusable containers which you can take home to wash.
- Include loose fruits and vegetables (if there are any peelings or cores, you can compost these at home).
- Pack food which everyone likes to eat, and don’t go overboard with quantity. Get the serving sizes right so you won’t have leftovers that might end up in the bin.
- Use reusable plates and cutlery that can be washed instead of disposable ones that have to be thrown away.
- Oh, and of course, pick a beautiful picnic spot where you will enjoy your waste-free day.
Now for the food:
- Unbeatable banana bread
- Beetroot tart with marinated tofu
- Salad in a jar
- Sweet potato fritters
- Rainbow Slaw
Did you know?
Australians waste $2544 million of fresh food each year.
Don’t forget to head over to our website! We are daughters, mothers, sisters and grandmothers getting on with practical climate action to live better for us and the planet. Join the movement at www.1millionwomen.com.au